CORAL provides services for the prevention and early detection of hearing loss, complete audiological clinical care, hearing and language therapy and a preschool for deaf children.And it is guided by a work plan that is called PLASO (Comprehensive Attention Plan for Deafness in the state of Oaxaca), which is developed in five different programs.
PREVENTION AND EARLY DETECTION
– Visits to indigenous rural areas and marginalized conurbadas zones making prevention talks and audiological studies to children from 0 to 6 years old>
– Coral Clinic in the City of Oaxaca, in the clinic Audiometry studies are carried out, Auditory Evoked Potential of the Brain Trunk (PEATC), Molds, Programming and Placement of Hearing Aids.
-Detection campaigns for hearing loss for adults and seniors in communitiesrural and marginalized.
EDUCATION FOR INCLUSION
– Hearing and Language Therapy for children and their parents.
– Classes with trained personnel in Mexican Sign Language for parents and children, as wellthey need it especially in the case of children diagnosed at a later age.
– Preschool for children with hearing loss.
– Training for educational personnel from different places in the State of Oaxaca.
– Self-help groups.
– Training for Audiological Technicians.
MEXICAN SIGN LANGUAGE (LSM)
– LSM classes for children and their parents who need other means of communication.
– LSM classes to all CORAL staff.- LSM classes open to the general public.
WHERE WE WORK
CORAL since its inception, works providing clinical services in audiology and rehabilitation in hearing and language in the city of Oaxaca. And starting in 2004, it began to provide attention in rural and marginalized communities of the same State. In the city of Oaxaca, CORAL has a clinic, a therapy school and a preschool. And the communities travel with audiological equipment doing auditory tests to small (as) and older adults in order to detect them early and to support them in their rehabilitation.
Find and diagnose children with hearing loss at the earliest possible age to achieve the most complete (re) habilitation at a young age for the best use of their auditory and cognitive learning.
Attend from the detection of people with hearing loss, clinical treatment, (re) habilitation of hearing and language, the facilitation of technologically appropriate hearing aids.
The accompaniment of parents and family members, and self-support among the same persons with disabilities and their families.
To cover the lack of audiological attention in people from marginalized and rural areas where deafness is frequent, increasing the capacities of professionals and technicians in the communities.
Disseminate the causes of hearing loss, prevention, detection and treatment in partnership with other organizations and institutions.
Increase the small number of people in the state of Oaxaca with knowledge and tools to address hearing loss, through the training of professionals and technicians of health and education, mainly.
The promotion of a better diet program and public policies that favor prevention and early detection, as well as the development of educational institutional capacities for social inclusion.